Goodwill Industries of Rhode Island recycles approximately 500,000 pounds of e-waste annually.
Electronics can be donated at our corporate headquarters at 100 Houghton Street, Providence RI or by calling (401) 861-2080.
Hard Disk Drive Erasure Policy
Many people are concerned about the recycling versus refurbishing process and want to know exactly what happens to their old hard disk drive when they donate their computer to Goodwill Industries of Rhode Island. When we receive a donated computer it will take one of two paths:
1. Older computers that will not be refurbished will be recycled. These computers will have their hard disk drives removed and stored in a secure location at our facility until being shipped to an R2 Certified Recycler where it will be responsibly disposed of in their secure facility. Or...
2. Newer computers that we feel can be refurbished and re-sold as part of our refurbishing program will have their hard disk drives removed. Our technician will then erase all data from the hard disk drive using LSoft Technologies Active @KillDisk software which complies with the US DoD 5220.22-M security standard for data sanitization and erasure. The hard drive will then be available to our refurbishing program for reuse.
In order to provide you with a greater level of confidence that your data has been erased from your hard disk drives Goodwill Industries of Rhode Island also offers the opportunity to provide you with a Certificate of Erasure document. At your request we can remove all hard disk drives from your computer(s). Our technician will then erase all data from the hard disk drives using LSoft Technologies Active @KillDisk software which complies with the US DoD 5220.22-M security standard for data sanitization and erasure. In the event that the hard disk drive is faulty and cannot be erased we will send your hard disk drive to an R2 Certified Recycler to be destroyed and a Certificate of Destruction will be issued. We respectfully ask for a donation of $10.00 per hard disk drive to cover the time, overhead, processing and mailing of your Certificate of Erasure or Certificate of Destruction.
If you have any questions regarding the process please feel free to email Carlos Ruiz here.
A sample of the Certificate of Erasure is available HERE.
 The Responsible Recycling Practices Standard (R2) certification, which is recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), is a set of voluntary principles and guidelines designed to promote and assess responsible practices for electronics recyclers.
Accepted Electronic Donations
- CRT Monitors
- Flat Screen Monitors
- Audio Equipment
- Video Equipment
- Toner/ Printer cartridges
- Small Household Appliances
- Small electronic toys
We Cannot Accept
- Desktop printers
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Single-use Alkaline Batteries
- Items with gasoline powered engines (mowers, etc.)
Call (401) 861-2080 or drop-off at 100 Houghton Street, Providence RI, Mon.-Fri., 8am-3pm.